Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Debut-a-Thon Review June 2013

I love finding book bloggers. They not only encourage me to read more but they usually have great content. As many of you know I am a complete book nerd//hoarder. I saw that Books of Amber was having a Debut -a-thon, I knew that I had to join. Some of you might have seen my update post but that doesn't count for the review, now does it? So here you go.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< 

Goodreads Summary: Juliette has escaped to Omega Point. It is a place for people like her—people with gifts—and it is also the headquarters of the rebel resistance. She's finally free from The Reestablishment, free from their plan to use her as a weapon, and free to love Adam. But Juliette will never be free from her lethal touch. Or from Warner, who wants Juliette more than she ever thought possible. In this exhilarating sequel to Shatter Me, Juliette has to make life-changing decisions between what she wants and what she thinks is right. Decisions that might involve choosing between her heart—and Adam's life.

My Review: This was like any other series second book; dull, long and flip floppy. The main character couldn't figure anything out. I feel the ending wasn't great for how thick this book is. I am curious to read the third on but I won't recommend these. 
Rate: 2 Stars
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>


Goodreads Summary: 17-year-old Verity Boone expects a warm homecoming when she returns to Catawissa, Pennsylvania, in 1867, pledged to marry a man she has never met. Instead, she finds a father she barely knows and a future husband with whom she apparently has nothing in common. One truly horrifying surprise awaits her: the graves of her mother and aunt are enclosed in iron cages outside the local cemetery. Nobody in town will explain why, but Verity hears rumors of buried treasure and witchcraft. Perhaps the cages were built to keep grave robbers out . . . or to keep the women in. Determined to understand, Verity finds herself in a life-and-death struggle with people she trusted.

My Review: It was pretty predictable but I still really enjoyed it. It was a nice easy read. I also really liked how it ended. 

Rate: 4.5 Stars

 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< 
Goodreads Summary: Vanessa Adler attends an elite ballet school – the same one her older sister, Margaret, attended before she disappeared. Vanessa feels she can never live up to her sister's shining reputation. But Vanessa, with her glorious red hair and fair skin, has a kind of power when she dances – she loses herself in the music, breathes different air, and the world around her turns to flames . . . Soon she attracts the attention of three men: gorgeous Zep, mysterious Justin, and the great, enigmatic choreographer Josef Zhalkovsky. When Josef asks Vanessa to dance the lead in the Firebird, she has little idea of the danger that lies ahead – and the burning forces about to be unleashed.

My Review: I love books about dance. This is no exception. It's a good read but just a tad to predictable. I would have liked either more twist or the main character not be so naive. I am excited to read the second one. 

Rate: 3 Stars


>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Goodreads Summary: Alyssa Gardner hears the whispers of bugs and flowers—precisely the affliction that landed her mother in a mental hospital years before. This family curse stretches back to her ancestor Alice Liddell, the real-life inspiration for Lewis Carroll’s Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. When her mother’s mental health takes a turn for the worse, Alyssa learns that what she thought was fiction is based in terrifying reality. The real Wonderland is a place far darker and more twisted than Carroll ever let on. There, Alyssa must pass a series of tests to fix Alice’s mistakes and save her family.

My Review: I really wish I knew this was an a take on Alice, cause I would have read it first. I am a huge fan of any Alice. This was really good but still predictable. I am kinda sad with who the Main Character chooses. I am hopping that the in second one Alyssa will change her mind.
Rate: 3 Stars
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< 

Goodreads Summary: Cinder, the cyborg mechanic, returns in the second thrilling installment of the bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She's trying to break out of prison—even though if she succeeds, she'll be the Commonwealth's most wanted fugitive. Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit's grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn't know about her grandmother or the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother's whereabouts, she is loath to trust this stranger, but is inexplicably drawn to him, and he to her. As Scarlet and Wolf unravel one mystery, they encounter another when they meet Cinder. Now, all of them must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen Levana

My Review: I started to read this but I couldn't can't get into it. I am going to try to finish reading it but I just don't know. 
Rate: Not Finished.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
That's all folks. ahaha. 
But seriously, I only read 4 books in fours days. Not bad but I wish I could have done better. It just seemed that these books weren't as good as I thought they would be. Oh well. Have you read any  2013 debuts?
Join me August 5th for more book reviews.

No comments: