Friday, April 4, 2014

Book Reviews Jan / Feb / Mar '14




Huntress: by Malinda Lo
Goodreads synopsis- Nature is out of balance in the human world. The sun hasn't shone in years, and crops are failing. Worse yet, strange and hostile creatures have begun to appear. The people's survival hangs in the balance. To solve the crisis, the oracle stones are cast, and Kaede and Taisin, two seventeen-year-old girls, are picked to go on a dangerous and unheard-of journey to Tanlili, the city of the Fairy Queen. Taisin is a sage, thrumming with magic, and Kaede is of the earth, without a speck of the otherworldly. And yet the two girls' destinies are drawn together during the mission.
My Review-  It wasn't a bad book but I felt like the character were flat. I don't know. It didn't seem to have real characteristics. 
Stars: 2

Ash: by Malinda Lo
Goodreads synopsis- In the wake of her father's death, Ash is left at the mercy of her cruel stepmother. Consumed with grief, her only joy comes by the light of the dying hearth fire, rereading the fairy tales her mother once told her. In her dreams, someday the fairies will steal her away, as they are said to do. When she meets the dark and dangerous fairy Sidhean, she believes that her wish may be granted.
My Review- I didn't like this book. It seems to go nowhere for a long time and then ended just perfectly. To perfectly. The main charter got what she wanted without change or struggle.  
Stars: 2

The Snow Fox: by Susan Fromberg Schaeffer
Goodreads synopsis-One thousand years ago, chaos loosed itself upon Japan, upending an era in which the arts flourished. At the dawn of 250 years of civil war, in the opulent court of Lord Norimasa, the beautiful but cruel poet Lady Utsu wages war with men's hearts and holds the fearsome lord and his devoted samurai Matsuhito in her thrall.
My Review- This is one of the most longest books that I have read but it was worth every chapter. I was enchanted from beginning to end. I thought it was beautiful, mysterous and believable. There were so many lines that I loved from this book. I will be sharing them soon. 
Stars: 5

Cress: by Marissa Meyer
Goodreads synopsis-In this third book in the Lunar Chronicles, Cinder and Captain Thorne are fugitives on the run, now with Scarlet and Wolf in tow. Together, they’re plotting to overthrow Queen Levana and her army. 
My Review-Oh My GOODNESS this is packed with action. I don't think I put this book down. I really love how the author has tied everything together and added new twists. I am soo excited for the new book. 
Stars: 4
**Note: It's hard to judge a book in series without thinking of the whole series. So this book might have a 4, the whole series might not be good. (this series isn't finished yet)**

Darkbeast: by Morgan Keyes
Goodreads synopsis- In Keara’s world, every child has a darkbeast—a creature that takes dark emotions like anger, pride, and rebellion. Keara’s darkbeast is Caw, a raven, and Keara can be free of her worst feelings by transferring them to Caw. He is her constant companion, and they are magically bound to each other until Keara’s twelfth birthday. For on that day Keara must kill her darkbeast—that is the law. Refusing to kill a darkbeast is an offense to the gods, and such heresy is harshly punished by the feared Inquisitors. But Keara cannot imagine life without Caw.
My Review- I don't think the author did a good job on writing out the description of things. I was a little confused about some of the books items. The plot was pretty good but it seemed to fall flat half way through. Although the ending kinda of tied together things, I hope that a second book will come out to help. 
Stars: 2


Ignite Me: by Tahereh Mafi

Goodreads synopsis-With Omega Point destroyed, Juliette doesn’t know if the rebels, her friends, or even Adam are alive. But that won’t keep her from trying to take down The Reestablishment once and for all. Now she must rely on Warner, the handsome commander of Sector 45. The one person she never thought she could trust. The same person who saved her life. He promises to help Juliette master her powers and save their dying world . . . but that’s not all he wants with her.
My Review- Amazing. Stunning. All the details of the last books have come together, finally! I can't believe that I almost gave up on this series. I am excited now to read the next one. 
**I die** I have to buy this book! So much goodness!
Stars: 5++++ 
**Note: It's hard to judge a book in series without thinking of the whole series. So this book might have a 4, the whole series might not be good. (this is the "last" one but it says series so we will see)**


\\ FOLLOW ME //
Email :: IG :: TW :: FB :: G+ :: Pin :: RSS

No comments: